Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day, Dad!

A tribute to my Dad
through one of my older scrapbook pages


And a close-up of the 18-year-old Dapper Dude . . .


And a look at the journaling tag . . .



And this is a re-post from my Mother's Day post. 
I'm not so sure I mentioned that I'm also in this picture . . .
as this was taken while Mom was expecting with me.


But I am sure that I didn't record here on the blog what I journaled on the back of this layout.  And I think I shall.  I might add that there wasn't really any journaling intended,
but I flipped the page over and just started writing. 
And crying.  But that's me, always tearing up. 
So had I intended to be "composing," there would be better sentence structure, an opening and closing sentence that perhaps tied together a little better. 
You get the idea.  Here's what's written:

"My roots - my parents.  My foundation.  Thanks to my parents, I learned to love and trust the Lord.  They raised their family in a Christian home.  I learned the importance of family - immediate and extended.  I learned the value of good work ethic.  I learned the art of spending money wisely and stretching what you have.  I learned what a home is - safety and security - shelter- and how to respect and care for it (and how to clean it . . . really well - thanks, Mom - and how to maintain it - thanks, Dad).  I never really learned a lot about cooking, though.  And that's okay.  I learned kindness.  I learned honesty.  I learned patience.  I learned forgiveness.  I learned tolerance.  I learned to keep my mouth shut.  I learned to listen.  I learned the importance of and have enjoyed the rewards of faithful prayer.  I've learned about being organized and planning ahead.  I've learned all these things and so much more.  I've been learning for 50 years now.   I've not mastered all of these things, but they are instilled in me.  They are a part of my roots.  My parents lead by example.  I listen.  I watch.  I learn.  Someday I hope to master, and I hope to pass these things on..."

Then I went back and added:      

"Oops.  Realized I wasn't finished.  I learned about sacrifice.  I learned you reap what you sow.  I learned generosity.  I learned the easy way isn't always the best way.      CJ     April  '09"

And if I might clarify a few points, my lack of interest in cooking is no reflection on Mom.  She's a fabulous cook, she enjoys it, and she spoils her family like crazy.  And the part about keeping my mouth shut, I don't mean that to imply that I got in trouble for talking.  It just means that I oftentimes keep my thoughts to myself.  You'll more likely hear me say "I wish I had said..." as opposed to "I wish I hadn't said..."   Not always, mind you.  We're all a work in progress; right?  Mother is by no means a big talker, but I think this trait probably comes from Dad.

Let me just end with one of my favorite pictures,
because it's my blog and I can.  :)




Happy Father's Day!
Love you, Dad!

Cj

No comments: