Thursday, November 4, 2010

Halloween recap

Hey there!  I mentioned doing a little fall crafting, and I did it on Halloween day.  Over a year ago -- or maybe longer -- I bought yards of burlap for a project I never completed.  Okay.  I never started it.  But I knew the burlap would be put to good use eventually.  So many possibilities.  I've seen some cute burlap table runners in blogland.  I decided to start simple, and I made a runner for the chest in the foyer.   



Cute huh?  My next one may have hemmed sides and a 3-inch ruffle on each end.
Things I learned for next time: 
Don't work with burlap right after you've dusted your house.
Don't wear black pants.  Please.
Use a tape measure instead of "eyeballing" it.
Don't work with burlap right after you've dusted your house.
Yes, that deserves being mentioned twice.


Here's a shot of the chest in the foyer as we waited for trick-or-treaters.  What's significant about this picture, you ask?  Well, it's the yellow melamine bowl.  That was the bowl we used for our candy when I was a kid on Sunset Drive.  And now I always use it for our candy. 




That bowl also held lots of green beans, and macaroni & tomatoes, and mashed potatoes in its day. 
No, no, not in my house.  On Sunset Drive.  It's my candy bowl, remember? 
Me having a bowl for mashed potatoes would give my family a good chuckle.  ;)
 Here's a shot of the front porch.  Instead of putting mums in my planters this year, I just added pumpkins.  Much cheaper.  I'm hoping they'll last through Thanksgiving.  It doesn't show up very well in these pictures, but there's a grapevine draping thingy (I can't think of the word I'm looking for!) with some burlap ribbon woven in it and hung over the door, along with a "boo" sign, and a spooky spider web is stuck to the storm door.  That Kaitlyn is full of good ideas!  ;)

 
Oh, look.  You can see Chip sitting in his chair with his laptop, and you can see part of my still-summer mantel.  The smart thing to do would be go straight to a Christmas mantel, but I am determined to celebrate Thanksgiving in true fall style.

And since these pictures were taken on Halloween day, it's only fitting to end the post with a cute little pumpkin.



And a cute little '50s diva!





Thanks for stopping by!
Cj


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHAT GOOD MEMORIES OF THE PAST YOU BROUGHT TO LIFE IN ME...THANKS.
DAD,

Soooo good! You never cease to amaze me what you can DO. I had forgotten all about the yellow bowl, AND YES it has had it's share of all the different foods you mentioned.....PLUS...POPCORN that you thought you smelled.

Love Mom

Anonymous said...

Awwww. I'm sad. I don't really remember that bowl. Actually I don't really remember that much about my childhood at all. Maybe because we moved a couple times, or maybe because I just have early stages of alzeimhers!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to clarify it was female, not male, alzheimers.